Should we change fron a court appointed attorney to a private attorney for sentencing?

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should we change fron a court appointed attorney to a private attorney for sentencing?

We feel that the court appointed attorney did not do his job at the trial and are afraid that he will not make the right motions at sentencing. Should we change to a private attorney for sentencing? Our attorney should have called a mistrial because one of the jurors used information from the internet and shared info with other jurors. What motions should the attorney be requesting at sentencing?

Asked on April 30, 2009 under Criminal Law, Washington


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should consult an attorney experienced with criminal appeals. You may have grounds for an appeal based on juror misconduct as well as negligent legal representation. An experienced appellate lawyer would carefully review the case for any possible grounds for appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption