Should my liability coverage cover another car’s damage if they have full coverage?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should my liability coverage cover another car’s damage if they have full coverage?

I was out of state visiting my dad. I borrowed his car and ran off the road due to snow and ice. My insurance company said they would not cover the property damage because he had full coverage, is this true?

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the terms of the policies. Insurance policies are contracts; they are governed by their terms. If your policy, for example, says that it will not indemnify or pay if there is other insurance available to provide compensation, that is enforceable. Therefore, you need to review the policies to understand your rights; you can ask your insurer to explain to you in detail the reason they won't cover in this case and point to the provision(s) saying this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption