Should my former landlord have to pay to move my trailer since he wasn’t honest about the upcoming sale of the property it is on?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should my former landlord have to pay to move my trailer since he wasn’t honest about the upcoming sale of the property it is on?

I moved my trailer into a trailer park about 4 months ago, at time I signed a 1 year lease the owner advised me he was selling the property and after my 1 year it was possible my rent may go up. Not once did he say I may have to move. The new owners have taken over and say that all trailers out here have to be moved as he does not rent lots he rents trailers. The new owner claims the former owner knew this all along. I borrowed $2000 to move and set the trailer up and now I have to move it again, do I have a case against the former owner or should I just suck it up and foot the bill myself?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about signing a one (1) year lease for the property where you placed a trailer upon it to live, you do not have to move until your lease is up regardless of whether or not the landlord owner sold it unless you have signed a subsequent agreement with the landlord agreeing to accept some money to move out.

Under the laws of all states in this country, if you signed a lease for a certain time period, you are entitled to conclude your lease.

If the landlord wants you to end your lease early, you should advise your soon to be former landlord that you do not intend to do so, or if you are willing to do so, he or she needs to pay you a cetain sum of money to move early.

You should consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption