Should I take a ticket to court and fight it if I was mistakenly accused of speeding?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I take a ticket to court and fight it if I was mistakenly accused of speeding?

I received a ticket last week. When I got the it, I was parked and exiting my car and a police car pulled up behind my and flashed its lights. The officer proceeded to approach me and raise his voice at me and yelled that I could have killed someone and how he saw me and it looked like I was going fast while he was going the opposite direction approx. 2-3 miles back. I was confused and did not know where the street he had just mentioned was until he I was unsure if I had been on the same street. He also then started to yell about how he should arrest me for the supposed 70 mph in a 40 mph zone and even went as far as to accuse me and the passenger in my car of being on drugs. He also asked to see identification for the passenger in my car. Should I take this to court and fight it?

Asked on April 25, 2017 under General Practice, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are unlikely to win outright: it will basically come down to your word vs. the officer's as to whether you were speeding, and as you can imagine, the court will almost always believe a trained, sworn, and neutral (no personal stake) officer over the accused speeder. But if you go to court and speak to the procecutor ahead of time, explaining that you do not think you were speeding (and that if you were over the limit, you were not as fast as the officer says you were) and have an otherwise good or clean driving record, while he is unlikely to dismiss the case entirely, there is a reasonably good chance he will let you plead to a lower speed or lesser offense, reducing your points and fine. Be very calm and respectful when talking to the prosecutor; offer to take a "defensive driving" course if he wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption