ShouldI sue over a injury that occured in a spa due to negligence?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ShouldI sue over a injury that occured in a spa due to negligence?

I recently went to a spa to have a hot stone massage done on my back. I received second and third degree burns on my back from the rocks because they were too hot and at a higher temperature then they should have been. Skin burns at 130 F and the rocks are supposed to be 110-120 F. Now Iam stuck with the prescriptions and the cost of medical supplies and I will possibly need plastic surgery to ease the pain due to the burn being right on my bra line and is causing me a lot of trouble when trying to work. I have called and inquired about getting a full refund and medical supplies but they are refusing. Should I speak with a personal injury attorney. In Genesee County, NY.

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely consult with a personal injury attorney. If a spa places too-hot stones on your back, there is a good chance they were negligent, and therefore liable. If so, they are potentially liable for:

* Medical costs (doctors, plastic surgery, prescriptions, etc.)

* Lost wages (if you've lost work time)

* Pain and suffering (if yoiu have suffered significant or long lasting pain, impairment, disability, disfigurement, and/or inability to do the normal things of life)

It seems  there is a good chance you are owed more than the refund and medical supplies you are seeking, so it would be worth your while to speak with an attorney, who can evalute the strength and worth of your case and help you obtain any compensation to which you are entitled. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption