CanI sue my landlord for problem with my apartment?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI sue my landlord for problem with my apartment?

I’ve lived in my apartment for 4 months and have had non-stop problems. 2 days after I paid rent for this month we had major flooding from upstairs with food debris everywhere. A few days later, leaking from the restroom upstairs. Now the toilet is broken and flooding and they only ordered a toilet a week and a half later. I was going to transfer to another apartment but was not satisfied with only getting $200 off rent. I don’t want to deal with the hostile lady in the office so I gave my notice to move. I don’t want to pay rent for this month because the conditions have been disgusting.

Asked on August 25, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Rather than suing your landlord for the problems that you had with your rented unit, you should have a meeting with him or her and ask for a partial refund of monies paid for rent in that you did not receive what you were paying for.

If the landlord is unwilling to do this, at the very least obtain a written agreement from him or her agreeing that your lease's term is terminated early where you have no further obligation owing on it. Also, try and obtain in a written agreement from your landlord that you may stay one further month at the rented unit gratis before moving on.

From what you have written, you seem to have a right to terminate your lease due to the absence of safe and habitable conditions that every state through its laws require tenantsto be provided.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption