Should I sign temporary power of attorney over to child grandparents?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I sign temporary power of attorney over to child grandparents?

My ex wife is going on vacation for 9
days and wants me to sign over temporary
power of attorney to the kids
grandparents in case something happens
to them and they need medical attention.
Why would she need me to sign that over
to them if I am available to take them
to the hospital if something happens?

Asked on October 31, 2018 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you do not need to do this, and as you say, there really is no reason to do so if you are available. There are also reasons why you might not want to: do you want the grandparents to be able to make medical or financial decisions for the children, if you are around anyway? And this could make you look like an absentee or uninterested parent, which could hurt you if visitation or custody is brought up again in court. Since she can't make you sign it, you don't want to, and there are reasons to not sign, don't sign it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption