Should I sign a property damage release despite the fact that the body shop has not yet seen the car or bill the supplement charges?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I sign a property damage release despite the fact that the body shop has not yet seen the car or bill the supplement charges?

My car was rear-ended by a truck. I filed a third party claim since the trucker that hit me was at fault. Now, the insurance company wants me to sign a “Property Damage Release” before receiving the amount billed by their adjuster. Problem is that the body shop has not seen or “opened up” the car to see if there are further damages. The insurance company is willing to put in the release “this does not include supplements”. Is this a regular practice? Do I need to sign this before receiving the check? Will the statement “this does not include supplements” be sufficient enough to cover future expenses?

Asked on April 4, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I would not sign anything until after the car has been thoroughly gone over by body shop and they give you a written estimate that you can compare to the one from the insurance adjuster.   Generally the insurance company pays the body shop directly.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption