What are the possible ramifications if I sign a deed in lieu for my ex?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the possible ramifications if I sign a deed in lieu for my ex?

My ex-husband purchased a home when we were going through our divorce. I am not on the mortgage but did have to sign the papers and do a quitclaim deed to release my interest. Now, 6 years later, he is walking away from the house with a deed in lieu and they need me to sign off on it. Is there any financial risk to myself in signing off on it? I have been told it is just because the bank wants to be sure I will not come back and say I have vested money into the property since WA is a community property state and we shared funds at the time of the purchase. Nothing shows on my credit report.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written I see no potential negative ramifications if you sign a deed in lieu of foreclosure concerning a home that your former husband purchased when you were going through your divorce where you were not on the loan for the home's purchase and are not in its legal title.

If you are concerned about any ramifications concerning the requested deed in lieu for foreclosure concerning your former husband's home, you might want to consult with a real estate attorney about the bank's request as to you.

One option is for you to sign a quitclaim of all interests that you may have in the real property at issue to your former husband rather than doing the deed in lieu of foreclosure.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption