Should I settle or get a lawyer for the damages someone caused by running a red light without insurance

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I settle or get a lawyer for the damages someone caused by running a red light without insurance

I was caught in accident where the person at-
fault ran a red light. He is uninsured and
caused a collision with another person as well.
My inseumace company told me I am able to
use my uninsured coverage. The problem is
the cost to fix the car damage is more than
what the car is worth. I don’t car about money
but an equal replacement to the car that was
damaged. Is it wise to get a lawyer in this
situation or stick with how much the car
actually worth in the market?

Asked on May 2, 2016 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most attorneys would not take the case if it is just property damage.  They would take the case if you were injured in the accident.  You are probably not going to get much more than what the car is actually worth. Therefore, try to settle the property damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption