Should I represent myself in aDV case?

UPDATED: May 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I represent myself in aDV case?

I’ve been accused by my girlfriend of assaulting her when she told me that she wanted to leave me. The problem is she’s done this before andI I had to except a continuance without findings on that case which I completed with no problem. In reality I told her to leave and in return she left me with 4 assault charges and 2 counts of mischief. If I take a polygraph and submit evidence that contradicts her statements to the prosecutor before this goes to trial, is there a chance charges could get dropped? Also, shes in AZ and I don’t think she will come and admit she lied.

Asked on May 24, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Could you?  Probably.  Should you?  Absolutely not!  If something goes wrong in this case then you will be up a creek without a paddle.  And let me tell you something:  a continuance means that the other matter is still pending.  So you not only need to consult with an attorney on this case but you need to resolve the other case too or you will be in a heap of trouble!  Please, do not take any chances here.  Consult with an attorney.  He or she will know the best way to blow holes in her case and to resolve both matters.  And try and get a restraining order against her. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption