Should I reinstate my corporate status?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I reinstate my corporate status?

In September of 2015, I formed a Wisconsin corporation. Due to some family
circumstances that came up I never got started. At this time I had planned to
start. I found out that my corporation had been administratively dissolved in
2018. Would it make sense to try to reinstate or just start over with a new

Asked on July 10, 2019 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's almost always easier and simpler to start a new corporation (or LLC) than try to reinstate the old one. Opening a new one is just a simple case of filing all over again and is guaranteed--you can absolutely do this. Reinstating is not as regular or automatic a process: it means asking for and getting approval to reinstate, may require filing out back corporate reports and paying back annual fees, etc. Why go to any extra trouble if you don't need to?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption