What should a joint tenant do regarding title to inherited property?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should a joint tenant do regarding title to inherited property?

My mother has passed away and left my older brother and I surviorship to the house. My brother has moved out and has left me and our2 younger siblings in the home. What do I? Should I put the house in my name? What would be the results?

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Did your Mother leave a Last Will and Testament?  If yes, who was named as the Executor or Personal RRepresentative of the Estate?  That person needs to file a Petition in the Probate Court to be issued what is known as Letters Testamentary.  Once that is done they can, after fulfilling all the other tasks of the estate like paying debts, etc., issue an Executor's Deed to you and your brother that are named in the Will.  Now, if there is no Will then the assets of the estate - the house and whatever else - will pass by the Intestacy laws in your State. I am pretty sure that then the house will go to all of your Mother's Children in equal shares.  Someone still has to be apointed as the Personal Representative of the Estate (sometimes called the Administrator).  Please get some legal help with all of this and good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption