ShouldI plead not guilty to a minor possession of alcohol and marijuana charge?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ShouldI plead not guilty to a minor possession of alcohol and marijuana charge?

I’m 19 and last night I was at a party. A cop opened the door and saw me smoking a joint/handrolled cigarette and told me to come outside. Unsure of what to do I stupidly went outside and blew a .084. He gave me marijuana possession under 2 oz and a minor in possession of alcohol. When I questioned the possession he said since I was smoking something and it smelled like marijuana that I was in possession. I stupidly said “I guess so” when asked and signed the summons. So what should I do? Hire a lawyer or pay the fines? Will this haunt me in any way?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Depending on your criminal history, an attorney can be very helpful in this situation.

Usually, in Utah, I am able to get a plea in abeyance to these type of charges.  This means, that you enter a guilty plea, do some classes, pay a fine, and not get into anymore trouble for a year and it stays off your record.

There is a good chance any attorney in your state could get you the same type of plea arrangement. So, plead not guitly and get an attorney to work this out for you.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption