should I object to heirship?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

should I object to heirship?

My absent father who I have not heard from in 30 years died. I have been
contacted by a lawyer about his estate and informed I have a younger brother.
He is not responding to the lawyer and I have been given the option to object to
his heirship. Does it make sense to object?

Asked on January 23, 2019 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there is a will, the estate is divided as the will directs--only object if you think there is some reason the will might not be valid (such as that it was forged; or your father was coerced into it; or your father was not mentally competent when he created it). This in practice means you would evidence of one of these things, since without evidence, you could not win your challenge. But otherwise, if the will is valid, whatever it says will be enforced.
If there is no will and your father was not married when he passed away, then his children will share equally in his estate. You would object to the heirship if you believe (and again, think you have or can get evidence) that the younger brother is NOT in fact the biological or adopted son of your father (e.g. he is a stepson or the son of a girlfriend but not your father). Otherwise, if he is a blood or adopted child, his right to inherit is equal to yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption