Should I hire an attorney for a disorderly conduct charge?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I hire an attorney for a disorderly conduct charge?

I just recently got a disorderly conduct charge. I initially decided to just pay for the fine since it’s not a serious charge but considering I am applying to law school I do not know if this charge will effect me. One of the questions on the law school application asks if you have ever been arrested so I’m thinking now that I should probably fight the charge. What do you think I should do?

Asked on January 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hire an attorney and contest the charge.  Especially, if you are planning on becoming a lawyer.  The potential ramifications are even more sever than just your law school application.  The real problems will surface when you apply to take the bar exam.

There are a lot of potential reslolutions to your charge.  Especially, if you can show the prosecuting attorney copies of your law school admissions.  A prosecutor will usually be sympathetic to someone in your circumstances.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption