Should I have to pay for a meter if the city I live in temporarily blocks my driveway with snow?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I have to pay for a meter if the city I live in temporarily blocks my driveway with snow?

The city made a decision to plow the snow in city streets to the center of the road to eliminate the snow crowded sidewalks of years past. I park in an area connected to the theatre that I work for that has a singular access point on Walnut Street. Walnut Street was plowed out ward forcing the snow from the street to block my entry to the parking area. I parked on a city street in front of a meter got a shovel and started clearing my way. I was cited. My only options where to pay for a meter or pay for a city ramp. They forced me to pay while I wait to clear out my path.

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Business Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were cited while you parked on the city street while you were shoveling snow on a city street to get access to your driveway because the city plowed snow from the street towards the sidewalk, you should contest the citation because you would not have received it had your driveway not been blocked by snow thrown by city snow removal equipment. You would have been able to simply pull into the driveway.

I would make sure I have the date, time and location to have a hearing on the citation your received written down and go attend it if you believe that you were unjustly cited for parking in the street and not paying for meter time. I would also contact your mayor and council person as to what transpired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption