How to determine the time when spousal support should have started?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to determine the time when spousal support should have started?

Spousal support was suppose to commence after escrow closed on sale of home and end when spouse began receiving his pension, or after 18 months spousal support payments have been paid, whichever occurs first. House was taken off the market. Spouse retired 2 years ago. Since house never sold and he is now retired should I have received support from the time the house was taken off the market until he retired? He was living in the house and I have since quit claimed the house to him.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the final judgment concerning your marital dissolution in that this document controls the timing of the spousal support that you are entitled to receive.

The way I read your question and the spousal support order, you were to start receiving spousal support when escrow of the community home's sale closed and such would end when your former spouse began receiving his pension, or spousal support begins after eighteen months from the date of the order and ends upon receipt of the former husband receiving his pension, whichever happens first.

The way I read your question and facts is that since the community home did not sell, your spousal support began running eighteen months from the date of the order allowing it and it was to end when your former husband first began receiving his pension.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption