Should I go to court for a speeding ticket in West Virginia?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I go to court for a speeding ticket in West Virginia?

I got a speeding ticket in Tucker County, West Virginia. I have been told that
my options are to plead guilty and pay the fines/court costs and get 3 points
on my license or plead innocent and have to go to court in a part of West
Virginia that is about 4 hours away from where I live.

I am okay with the fine/court costs, but would like to avoid the points. If I
go to court in West Virginia, do I have a chance of getting the points removed?
In MD where I live, if your record is clean, you usually get probation before
judgement, lessened fines, and no points if you go to court. Does anyone know
if this is a common outcome if I go to court in West Virginia? I really don’t
want to waste time and gas driving to West Virginia if this is an unlikely


Asked on September 5, 2016 under General Practice, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Typically, if you have an otherwise clean record, the prosecutor will give you the opportunity to plead guilty to a lesser offense and/or lesser punishment. You may not avoid all points, but it is highly likely you will at least reduce them--and you may be able to avoid all points and just pay a fine. If reducing or eliminating the points is worth the 8 hour round trip and probably another 3 - 4 hours in court that day, then go. Make sure to get there on time--it's better to be a little early, if possible--and speak to the prosecutor the first opportunity you get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption