Should I give my tenant a written notice of problems with our sewer line?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I give my tenant a written notice of problems with our sewer line?

I’m renting out a room in my house and we’re having problems with the sewer line which will require the city to come out and fix. This is causing us to not be able to fully use the bathroom until it is resolved. I know a tenant is supposed to give a landlord written notice about a problem but should a landlord give tenant written notice if they spotted the problem in a shared home, as well as notice of steps being taken to resolve it?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, yes, yes.  It is always good practice to advise the tenant and you may have to make other arrangements for the tenant should it breach their warranty of habitability.  Maybe reduce the rent for the time that the services are unavailable or make arrangement for the tenant ot stay some where else.   But do everything in writing and have the tenant sign any agreement you make.  Good thinking.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption