IfI was rear-ended in a car accident, shouldI give my social security number to the at-fault driver’s insurance company?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI was rear-ended in a car accident, shouldI give my social security number to the at-fault driver’s insurance company?

I was hit at a traffic light. I filed a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. He stated that he must have the SSN to report to Medicare? However, I am not enrolled in Medicare.

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Accident Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This doesn't make any sense. He doesn't need to report anything to Medicare. He needs your social security number to run background checks and other checks he should not be privy to. Do not be fooled. You need to at this point hire an attorney or see if your insurance company is going to hire an attorney and have that person negotiate with the insurance company, including not giving particular or specific information and relaying other evidence that will help your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption