Should I get legal representation if I already plead gulity to a misdeamenor theft charge?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I get legal representation if I already plead gulity to a misdeamenor theft charge?

I have not paid the court anything. Charges occured almost 5 years ago. Charge was theft of stolen goods worth $60. Should I go it alone or would I get better results and clear my name with an attorney since I already plead gulity. I was not arrested. Would they be able to clear the charges or reduce the comtempt fees?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have already appeared in court and entered a guilty plea with respect to a charge of stolen goods, I suggest that you immediately consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation. The problem that you seemingly have gotten yourself into is that you have already entered a plea without knowing what the sentence you will receive.

Potentially a retained criminal defense attorney will be able to have your guilty plea withdrawn and would be in a better position to negotiate a better result for you than if you were on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption