Should I get a lawyer or public defender for my second MIP?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I get a lawyer or public defender for my second MIP?

Hello I am 20 years old, and I just got my second MIP this Saturday in Lincoln,
Nebraska. I took diversion for the first one almost two years ago, but I cant
remember if it would have been juvenile diversion or adult diversion. I also am
graduating from undergrad in May 2019, and I know having an MIP on your
record makes it harder to get into Graduate School. I also have a disorderly
house ticket from July 6th, 2018. I am wondering if there is anything a lawyer, or
public defender could do in this case or if it would be pointless for me to get

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Whether is anything a lawyer or public defender can do depends on the facts: is there anything there for them to work with? There are open and shut cases where no lawyer can help; there are cases so weak you don't need a lawyer; and there are most cases, where a good lawyer can make a difference.
Assuming there is something they could sue, hire a private lawyer: with all respect to public defenders, they are overworked, underpaid, and don't have much, if any, office staff/support and lack other resources. A private lawyer you hire, who is being specifically paid for *your* case, will generally accomplish more for you than a public defender.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption