Should I get a Lawyer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I get a Lawyer?

I got in to a car accident and long story short I was not at fault. My car insurance paid their part after the accident was deemed a total loss, I was still financing when the accident happened, was upside down when totaled 2010 nissan altima and i had full gap insurance on the vehicle, gap only covered a portion of what the remaining balance is left on the vehicle. I didn’t break any rules or regulations required by the gap insurance contract but my gap insurance never explained why they did not cover the whole thing. Are there any options I have legally to either get my gap to pay the remaining balance or take legal actions towards the driver at fault?

Asked on July 17, 2017 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your best option would be to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of your car.
You may have difficulty finding an attorney to represent you since you were not injured in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption