Should I form an LLC or C-Corp for my start up tech company?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I form an LLC or C-Corp for my start up tech company?

I have 1 partner from Australia. The split it 50/30 with 20% left open for investors.

Asked on August 23, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There ia little to choose from between an LLC and an S-corp for either liability protection or tax consequences they both offer the same advantages. An LLC has somewhat less paperwork and formalities than an S-corp, and is often prefered for that reason. An LLC is also advantageous if
1 Ownership is not based purely on economic investment, since owneraship of a corp. is based on shares bought, wheras ownership of an LLC can be based on any criteria. You can separate corp. ownership from straight investment, but it's more complicated. Also, it's easier to separate control from ownership with an LLC, if you want. LLC's are generally more flexible, especially for a start-up, than a sub-S.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption