Should I file found wills

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I file found wills

My parent’s first wills were
hidden from me upon the death of
my parents, a third will was
offered for probate by my cousin
who is the total beneficiary and
inheritee of this third will,
which I contested… my
cousin produced the first two
original wills. Should I file
these two wills?

Asked on September 11, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

With multiple wills, especially when you are contesting the will offered by your cousin, you really need to hire a probate attorney to help you sort this issue out.
That said, as a general rule, only the latest will is in effect; later-created wills replace and invalidate earlier wills, unless the later will specifically says that it only amends or makes some changes to the earlier will(s), and that apart from the new terms in the later will, the earlier will(s) is(are) still in effect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption