Should I fight my speeding ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I fight my speeding ticket?

I was driving to my mom’s, when I saw an officer. I checked my speedometer and it read 65 mph and the limit was 55. The cop pulled me over and said I was 12 mph over and gave me a ticket that said I

was 13? I was sure it was just 10 mph or I would’ve slowed down;10 is a ticket and no points against me. However, the officer is saying that it was more.

Asked on July 4, 2017 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't fight it without going to court. And generally, unless the police were *very* sloppy (e.g. cannot prove that the laser/radar gun was properly maintained or calibrated, or that the officer was trained in its use), you can't successfully "fight" it anyway: the judge will believe a trained, sworn, neutral (i.e. he/she has no personal stake in the outcome) police officer and his official speed reading over a driver who believes he/she was only going 10mph over the limit.
What you can do is go to court--show up a llittle early--and speak to the prosecutor; if you otherwise have a clean driving record and you approach him/her respectfully, there is a very good chance that he/she will let you pled to a lesser offense or lower speed, such as only 10mph over the limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption