Should I be concerned about a lien against family real estate if the family does not intend to sell our property?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I be concerned about a lien against family real estate if the family does not intend to sell our property?

I was told by a family member that a title search on our family estate revealed that there is a lien against our family land. The lean is supposed to be at the courthouse. No one has contacted any of the family members concerning any lien. If we have not plans to sell the estate should we be concerned about this lien if it does exist. Should my family pursue this issue?

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should at least take a look at what the lien is for.  If it is a judgement it could be accruing interest and you need to figure out what the liability is even if you do not intent to sell now.  At some point you might or you might need to tale out a loan against the property.  Forewarned is forearmed.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption