Should I allow my wife`s familly to stay at our house while they are visiting from a different country?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I allow my wife`s familly to stay at our house while they are visiting from a different country?

I was born Hungary but I am recently living in FL with my wife and my son. We own the house 50-50%, but most of the time I pay the mortgage by myself (I can prove it with the bank statements). I do want them to stay here at all. When they are coming to my house they want to change my life and they want to tell me how to live.

Asked on August 21, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you say that you own the house 50/50 with whom do you mean?  Do you mean with your wife - which is what I thought on first reading - or with your wife's family?  If your wife's family also owns the house then they have every right to enter and stay.  The fact that you are paying the mortgage most of the time is secondary to ownership.  That is a money issue between you, them and the mortgage lender.  I can certainly understand the stress of your in laws being in the house and trying to run your life.  But if they own the place you can not really exclude them.  Maybe try and work linger hours for the time that they are there and save enough to buy them out.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption