Shop fraud

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Shop fraud

Custom shop refuses to release my car stating I owe money. Never gave me
estimate, invoice, Bill, or any other description of work being performed and has
willingly accepted thousands of dollars from me for work. Because owner is
suspected of being on illegal drugs and continues to make empty promises for well
over a year I am wanting to remove my car and take to someone that can and will
finish the work required. Refuses to let me have car. Has yet to produce any

Asked on September 8, 2018 under Business Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have to sue them. You would bring a lawsuit in regular county court (not small claims) seeking a court order that your car is released and that they return any money which did not result in actual repairs or renovations being done (i.e. they can keep pay for any work they accomplished). Bringing a lawsuit for a court order as well as for money is procedurally more complex than suing for money alone; you should retain an attorney to help you. A lawsuit is the only way to force them to release your car and/or compensate you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption