What are my ex-wife’s rights to our dogs?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my ex-wife’s rights to our dogs?

Dog A was a gift to her given prior to our marriage, and she paid for Dog B as well; then we got married, and when we divorced the dogs were not named anywhere in the papers. She left for 9 months with 1 brief return and has not contributed in any way to their care. I have paid for food, kept shots current, and take good care of them. We divorced during her absence. She has a condo with no yard and no employment. She likely has more liquid assets than me. I have a fenced yard and a job, as well as a support system in place.

Asked on September 11, 2010 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Someone will have to decide if the dogs are marital property or joint property and divide them accordingly.  Gifts given prior to marriage are generally the property of the recipient.  So I am going to lien on the side of Dog A being separate property of your ex-wife.  Dog B appears to be marital property.  You can not split the asset here so you are going to have to come to a decision yourselves as to how you are going to "distribute" the asset.  Do you have any other assets that can be bargained for the dog?  Do you want to pay her half the value of the dob (try and negotiate given the amount that you have out in in care over the last 9 months)?  Do you want to say that she abandoned her responsibilities toward both dogs and that you should have them (I am unsure that this will fly)?  Seek help in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption