What to do about sexual harassment at work?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about sexual harassment at work?

One of my co-workers has told other co-workers that I have sex with certain employees and they get special favors because of it. This is not true but this co-worker is saying it to others. I have 2 witnesses to verify this. Can I go to my superiors and shouldn’t they fire him?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sexual harassment is illegal at work. If you go to your superiors, they should take some action--investigate the matter, then based on what they find, discipline the co-worker, transfer the co-worker to a different department or shift, fire the co-workers, etc. (Whatever seeem appropriate, if the investigation validates your claims.) Firing is not required, but *some* appropriate action to stop harassment is.

If you go to your superiors and they don't take action, then you may have a sexual harassment claim against the company (the company is enabling or allowing it); at that point, you'd speak with an employment law attorney about your rights and options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption