Sewer Connection Required at my home residence

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Sewer Connection Required at my home residence

I purchased my home 5 years ago with well water and a septic system. My township
decided our area needed a sewer system. In order for me to connect to this sewer
system that I don’t need, It will cost me up to 15,000 to connect. I do not have
the money to do this, because of many financial heartaches. What can I do? How
can I do something i can’t afford? Could I be arrested?

Asked on October 30, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't be arrested, because this is not a criminal offense, but you could be fined, and depending on the ordinance passed, the fines could be considerable. Yes, the town can require you to do something you can't afford--for example, they can require that homes comply with fire and electrical safety code, even when very expensive for you. You inability to pay is simply not a legal concern. To avoid fines, you will have to find some way to pay for it, such as via a home equity or renovation loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption