What to do if several years ago I took out a payday loan that never got paid back?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if several years ago I took out a payday loan that never got paid back?

Last year I filed bankruptcy and received my discharge papers last month. I received a phone call today stating that payday loans are not covered in bankruptcy. Also, they told me that I had 30 minutes to make a decision as to whether I was going to pay the money back or I was going to face 90 days in jail. I would also like to know if that is legal and accurate?

Asked on March 20, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

payday loans are dischargeable in bankruptcy.   and they are not criminal violations if not paid.

If the loan was not listed in your BK,  it is still discharged as long as the trustee recovered no assets in your bankruptcy.

call if you need more help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption