What to do if several months ago I was charged with a misdemeanor for retail fraud?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if several months ago I was charged with a misdemeanor for retail fraud?

I pled guilty as part of my agreement that I would get my case deferred while on probation and then expunged. I’ve been on probation for several months (which I don’t even have to meet with an officer anymore) and have no problems. I just got hired at a new job and they are conducting a background check. I was told that my case will be deferred, but will there be anything that shows up while I’m still on probation?

Asked on December 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

While you are on probation or deferred, there is a potential that your history will show up on a background check.  The reason is that the information regarding your case is still part of a public record.  Until you get your expunction finalized, these records will remain public and, thus, potentially accessible by any company that conducts or gathers information for background checks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption