UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My boys where passengers on a car accidentwhere car they where in is 20% at fault n the other 80% are we able to collect settlements from both they and both they have lower back pain and a chipped tooth.

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Accident Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your boys have personal injury claims against the driver of the car in which they were passengers and the driver of the other car in the accident.  Each boy has a separate personal injury claim.
When each boy completes his medical/dental treatment and is released by the doctor or is declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in medical/dental treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain the medical/dental bills and medical/dental reports.  I assume they are minors and therefore there is no wage loss claim.  The medical/dental bills and medical/dental reports should be part of the claim filed with both at-fault drivers' insurance carriers.
Compensation for the medical/dental bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical/dental reports document the injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical/dental bills.
If each boy's case is settled with the insurance carriers for both drivers, NO lawsuit is filed.
 If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the insurance carriers, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against both drivers.  If the case has settled with one but not both drivers' insurance carriers, only name the driver with whom the case has not settled as a defendant in the lawsuit.
If your boys are minors, you will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on their behalf.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit for negligence against the drivers must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your boys will lose their rights in the matter forever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption