What to do if I have serious concerns about self-dealing by a personal representative on an estate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have serious concerns about self-dealing by a personal representative on an estate?

My sister is the Personal Representative on our parent’s estate. She is nearly done with the estate and is now trying to keep the rest of the cash. She is trying to rescind a house appraisal, dumpster fees, estate sale personnel and much more. The estate has very little money left and she is trying to keep it by saying that she was forced to agree to these expenses and is using them to help charge off the remaining cash. Is there any attorney that can help with self-dealing and assist with a demand letter?

Asked on February 19, 2016 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As an interest party (an heir or beneficiary), you would have standing to bring a legal action in surrogates or probate or chancery court (it may go by any of these names) to seek an "accounting" of how the personal representative discharged her duty. If she is found to have engaged in self-dealing, she can forced to repay the amounts she improperly took. An attorney would likely charge several thousand dollars (or more) to work on a case like this, which can require going through a lot of documentation, analyzing expenses, and making or defending several motions and possibly spending days in court; depending on the size of the estate and how much you think she may have improperly taken, it might make more sense for you to try to bring the action yourelf, pro se. (Remember: winning a court case is never guaranteed; you could spend a great deal on legal fees and still lose.) If you elect to do this, you can get instructions and forms from the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption