Separation benefits

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Separation benefits

What can I do to protect myself financially if my
husband neglects me and the kids

Asked on June 28, 2018 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Divorce him--in a divorce, any marital assets (e.g. home, savings, investments, etc.) will be divided; your husband will be required to pay child support; and your husband will (if he earned more than you or has greater earning potential) almost certainly be required to pay you spousal support (alimony). In the course of filing for the divorce, you can get a court order requiring him to provide interim support (including e.g. insurance, utilities) until the divorce is finally determined. If you are separated and he is already cutting off support, it is unclear why you would not divorce--you are already living separate lives, and he is not taking care of you or the children--and in a divorce, you can protect your rights and interests much more effectively. Consult with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption