UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My partner and I have been in a relationship going on 4 years. He recently received a settlement and it was deposited into our joint account. He has informed me that he will be moving those funds unto an account with only his name in it. He later informed me that it will be for a home and that the home will not even have my name on it. We have a son together and he encouraged me to stop working and devote myself into being a stay at home mother. Therefore these signs that he is showing me a red flags for me, for maybe a seperation happening. How can i protect myself? If we seperate i am left with nothing. Not even money for rent.

Asked on August 2, 2017 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In your state, if you are not married, you have no right to his settlement or any other assets or monies he earned himself; have no right to support from him (e.g. spousal support, since you are not married); no right to housing or home from him, or to be on the title to any house he buys; etc. In short, an unmarried partner has no claims against her partner's income or assets, which is why no one should be the dependent person in a non-married relationship like this: either get married, so you have rights, or make sure you can support yourself without your partner, should he leave you.
If you have a child together, you *would*, however, be entitled to child support from him, and a family law attorney can help you get that if necessary. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption