What is the process for getting a misdemeanor dropped to an infraction?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the process for getting a misdemeanor dropped to an infraction?

Sentenced to 3 years informal probation. Judge said if I behaved for 2 years my misdemeanor can be dropped to infraction.

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were sentenced as part of your guilty plea concerning the misdemeanor charged against you where part of the guilty plea states in writing that if you honored your terms of the three years probation you could have your misdemeanor conviction reduced to an infraction after two years, and you have done so, you need to file a petition with the court to have the conviction reduced to an infraction.

I suggest that given the process is somewhat complicated that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to file such a petition for you rather than you try and do such on your own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption