How to apply for a sentence reduction?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to apply for a sentence reduction?

My boyfriend has been sentenced to a county jail for 6 months and has already served half. I’m having a lot of trouble in my pregnancy and need him home to support me. Is there any way he can ask for a sentence reduction or any way to get him home sooner?

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Usually when one has been sentenced to a stated period in jail or prison, he or she is expected to serve the stated time. Sometimes there is a reduction for good behavior on a given sentence.

However, in your situation, having trouble with your own pegnancy and the need for your boyfriend to support you is not sufficient grounds for him to have his sentence reduced. For more assistance on your question, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption