Selling a

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Selling a

I’m in over my head financially with my
home but my son is on the deed I would
like to sell it but we are not on
speaking terms what options do I have

Asked on November 1, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The law provides the remedy of "partition", which is a legal tool employed when co-owners of property cannot agree as to ownership matters, including whether or not to sell. In a partition action, the court will order that the property be divided, if possible. If not, such as in the case of a single family house, then the court will order a "sale in lieu of partition". This means that the property will be put on the market for fair market value. When an offer is accepted and the sale completed, the proceeds will be distributed equitably to the owners. First, however, the party (or parties) who want to keep the property will be given the chance to buy out the other owners who do not want the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption