What course of action should we take if the seller withheld vital information?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What course of action should we take if the seller withheld vital information?

Seller obtained quotes for power to be brought to property during contract

period, as were told that only property the property owner could make request

for on site eval of property by power provider. We closed several weeks ago,

and just found out that seller was told cost to run power to property would be at

their expense. However, seller told us that power company would cover all but

approximately $1900 we agreed to split that cost and that is in our contract. However, it is going to cost 20K to get the power run to the property as the access is a private road easement. How can we get the seller to pay the costs over and above the split of the $1900?

Asked on June 12, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him. Knowingly misrepresenting (lying about) material (or important) information on which you reasonably relied in deciding to buy the home (or in deciding how much to offer for the house, or what other terms to request in the contract) is fraud: fraud provides a basis to recover monetary compensation (e.g. the cost to bring the power to the home, over the amount you had agreed to pay). If you can prove in court that he had the information (such as by, if necessary, subpoenaing the power company or employees thereof, to find out what they told him), you can get a judgment against him for this fraud.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption