Seller will not give me Deed after a Judge has ordered it

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Seller will not give me Deed after a Judge has ordered it

Contractor/seller was ordered to give me deed and keys to home but said he needed to remove his stuff from property, judge gave him till last Thursday, he did not remove his stuff. We agreed to give him till the end of this weekend and still he has not removed his stuff.

Asked on January 22, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

File a motion in court to enforce the judge's order: the judge can impose fines or even imprison him (for contempt of court) for not complying with its order. You can do this yourself legall ("pro se") but are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you--filing a motion like this can be tricky for a non-lawyer. If determined to do it yourself, call the judge's clerk for information, download a copy of the court rules, and see if you can get sample motion froms from the court (e.g. online).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption