Seller refuse to sign mutual release

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Seller refuse to sign mutual release

I was in a process of buying a house…and After
inspection completed I submitted my request of what
need to be replaced and seller refused my request
and decided to Re-list the house and now the house
is under another contract which I’m ok with it.. But
sellee also refuses to sign mutual release…. In this
case what should I do ?
I’m afraid if I hire an attorney it may cost me more
than the earnest deposit which its 2000.
Any suggestions or advises please?

Asked on April 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Try suing the seller in small claims court, acting as your own attorney ("pro se"): the case you describe is a straightforward one, and a non-lawyer should be able to represement him/herself. This way, you have a reasonable chance of getting the money back and will not have to spend or risk anything more than the filing fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption