If I repaired my own car after an accident, am I entitled to all of the settlement proceeds?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I repaired my own car after an accident, am I entitled to all of the settlement proceeds?

I hit a raccoon in my car and it did considerable damage. I wanted to do the work to fix it myself. The insurance company and bank said that would be fine. Insurance issued a check to me and the bank. The bank said to fix it and then send them the receipts, estimate, check. I fixed it out of pocket and was able to save some money on parts. I faxed everything to the bank as requested and now they want to keep part of my money. Insurance said I was entitled to labor but the bank wants to keep that. Can they do that? Are they allowed to keep any of the check?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Insurance Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Contact your insurance company and file complaints with the state department of insurance and the state banking department as well as the attorney generl's office.  I hope that you have a good record of who told you what here. ANd read your insurance policy.  If all is on the up and up  then I think that once the dust settles you will come out on top.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption