security deposit

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

security deposit

i gave a man a security deposit and the next day changed my mind about renting the apartment.i called him numerous times and he kept avoiding my calls and hanging up on me.i never signed an agreement of any kind,but i do have a receipt for the deposit signed by i entitled to a refund of my deposit?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  A security deposit is refundable, especially where you did not even have the right to live at the property.  I suggest that you find out the office of this guy or where he lives and suie him in small claims court.  This will certainly get his attention.  If he fails to respond to the complaint, you can put a judgment lien on the property and force the property into foreclosure.  the landlord wont let that happen so you will likely get the deposit back by filing suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption