Can a school move to a 12 month schedule for office staff and take away 1 month of time off?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a school move to a 12 month schedule for office staff and take away 1 month of time off?

The school offices have always been 11 months open and staff paid for 11 months and 1 month paid time off. Now they are changing to a 12 month schedule, accrued vacation to be similar to staff in the business office using the Equal pay act as an excuse. I am losing 13 days of paid time off after 30 years of service. Can they do that?

Asked on January 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this unless there is a still-in-effect (i.e. unexpired) written contract (including a union agreement covering your position) preventing this. In the absence of a contract, the employer determines work schedules, days worked, pay, vacation, etc. Only a contract would prevent this change.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption