School called daughter fractured ankle would not let me go to pick her up from school

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

School called daughter fractured ankle would not let me go to pick her up from school

What legal right do employers have when
it comes to you having to leave the job
when there’s an emergency

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no law that mandates an employer must allow a worker to leave their job in the event of a family emergency. The employee can have an excused absence if they use their PTO  (i.e. sick/vacation days) to cover the time, otherwise they cannot leave the work premises without possibly facing disipline (up to and including termination). That having been said, they may have prtection under the terms of any exisiting union agreement or employment contract. Further, the employee's treatment must not constitue some form of legally actionable discrimination (which does not appear to have been the case here).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption