Scheduling a full-time employee for less than full-time

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Scheduling a full-time employee for less than full-time

I work at an area hospital which is experiencing a shortage of
licensed pharmacy technicians. New Link Destination
cover openings on midnight
shift which works 7 on 7 off, we are being schedule for only
38 hours for a forty hour work week.

Asked on October 31, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a written employment agreement guarantying or specifiying your hours, your employer has free and complete discretion over the hours you work. Therefore, without a written employoment contract, your employer can schedule you for as many or as few hours as it likes, regardless of whether you were called a "full time" employee; being termed a "full time" employee does not, by itself, guaranty or entitle you to an set or minimum number of hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption